Twilight view of Broad Street in Oxford
Credit: Liam Peck, DPhil in Ion Channels & Disease (Graduate Photography Competition)
- Oxford was ranked first in the world in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings for 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- There are over 24,000 students at Oxford, including 11,930 undergraduates and 11,813 postgraduates.
- Oxford is very competitive: more than 21,500 people applied for around 3,300 undergraduate places for entry in 2018. That means that Oxford receives, on average, more than 6 applications for each available place.
- The majority of Oxford’s UK undergraduates come from state schools. The latest figures show that, of places offered to UK applicants, over 60.5% of undergraduate places went to students from the state sector.
- Oxford offers more than 350 different graduate degree programmes.
- International students make up almost 43% of our total student body - over 10,000 students. Students come to Oxford from more than 150 countries and territories.
- According to the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, the official UK-wide assessment of all university research, Oxford has the largest volume of world-leading research in the country.
- The University, including the colleges and Oxford University Press, is the largest employer in Oxfordshire, supporting around more than 30,000 jobs in the county and injecting more than ?2.3bn annually into the regional economy.